Monday, July 12, 2010

Separating Parties and Setting Destinations

So I've lined out the progression of my story with seven, story twisting scenes. The Main Character and his Wife are on their own path. This path follows the seven stepping stones that I've made up to progress through a 3 act structure. This may be a real technique or not, but I'm using it, and I like the way it looks. Act 1 has two main parts, Act 2 has three, and Act 3 has two main parts again. It's symmetric (2|3|2) and it seems like it'll make sense. Each of these parts will be the big scenes and everything in between is just stuff to get me from one major situation to another.

The Antagonist, a Sicilian Mafia boss, along with his gang follow their own story path. This runs parallel to the Husband and Wife and they too have seven major scenes. It's not actually parallel as these two lines intersect, and so we have conflict. These characters, while important, are not the main aspect of the story, they only help drive it. They will most definitely have less screen time and be used in many situations as comical inserts, rather than be viewed as scary, mafia-born foes which they appear to be.

When creating these seven major story blocks and their conflicting intersections, I started first with a title for each scene. Like a chapter in the book, I wanted that one phrase to be strong enough in my mind, that I am able to expand it. The first scene is very clear in my mind and that is good. It'll amount to about five pages or so and be the substance of my Act 1 intro. It's titled "Beautiful Day" It sounds soothing, but for my main characters, it certainly is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment